We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cat6 or Cat6a

CrazyTalk

Likes # 0

Im moving house and leaving my previous cat6 wiring behind. I have a new clean house now to destroy with another wired network (lol). Looking around theres now something called cat6a that purports to handle up to 10gb of data!

Is this really overkill for HD and Internet streaming plus media usage? Looks like its alot thicker as well

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

This might help you to decide..click here

Like this post
CrazyTalk

Likes # 0

Thnks Bris this has really helped, my mind is telling me cat6a but there a more questions than answers out there. For example

Can I use cat6a cable to any NIC appliance for example 1GB nic with out cuasing any issues etc?

Will dig around further but will see if anyone can add any further assistance

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Phatz.

To get the full benefit from cat6a all connectors and devices on the network need to be cat6a certified. My guess is that you can connect cat6a to cat5e certified equipment i.e. backwards compatible but then you wont get the benefit of cat6a and I guess its more expensive. Its some time now since I was involved with commercial networks so my knowledge stops at cat5e, maybe someone with the necessary expertise will come on board.

Like this post
CrazyTalk

Likes # 0

Thanks, yeh thats my real query, basically if I went cat6a i know that when I want to i can just change the nics where I want and not worry about the cable, I know cat6a equipment is expensive now but just want to make sure when I do this I know I wont have any issues in the future with the amount of data can be pushed around.

So in essence as you said, does anyone really know if I can connect a bogstandard 10/100/1000 nic for example to a cat6a cable - yes I know this defeats the object but for now it would be a step in the right direction

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Phatz.

I have looked into this further and offer the following:

The problem with trying to operate a network at higher speeds is that of electrical interference which is picked up by the cables and causes errors which slows down data transmission because the sytem has to spend time error correcting.

CAT5e, also known as unshielded twisted pair, solves the problem to an extent by twisting the pairs of leads however it is only capable of speeds up to 1Gb.

For speeds above this its necessary to shield the cable and plugs and this of course increases cost and this is where cat6a comes in, its in effect shielded twisted pair.

CAT6a comes with the same RJ45 plugs as CAT5e but they are also shielded. So from the above there should be no problem in connecting CAT6a cabling to any existing NIC.

Before you go ahead you could always buy a patch lead and try it to put your mind at rest.

click here

Like this post
CrazyTalk

Likes # 0

Thanks makes sense. Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...