We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does VGA to DVI ever work?

Catsmile

Likes # 0

Hi

I was given a Hazro 27" monitor by a programmer friend to use as an additionional screen with my laptop.

I've spent weeks now trying to get it recognise the output from the laptop with no joy. Tried the DVI-D cable that came with it first - then realised that this wouldn't work because the laptop (Toshiba Satellite) has a VGA port (doesn't even have a HDMI port - so a bit basic even though only bought it a year ago?). Using an adapter didn't help so I guessed the Laptop output was ananlog (no good for DVI-D).

Also tried a DVI-A to VGA cable - no joy. Then tried DVI-I to DVI-I with adaptor - no luck.

Am I right in assuming that the monitor is purely DVi-D and would never recognise a signal from a standard VGA ported laptop or pc?

So basically I need to give the monitor back to my friend or buy a very expensive pc to match the monitor?

Your honest advice would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I've never seen a monitor that has only a DVI port, but if this is the case then the only way you will get it to work is if the signal is actually CONVERTED to digital. A simple DVI - VGA adapter would not suffice - these are designed to be used with graphics card that can output both a digital or VGA signal from a single DVI port.

I've never seen a device that would convert the signal, but that's not to say that they don't exist.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

It may be a silly question but did you select the Monitor using the fn + I think the F5.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home