We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing more RAM on my PC

renard

Likes # 0

As I am increasingly getting Windows “low virtual memory” warnings, I have been advised to install more memory on my PC – a Dell Dimension C521.

A system scan by Crucial.com reveals that I have 1GB of RAM installed and three empty slots. They recommend installing up to three extra 1GB in matched pairs and offer to sell me “guaranteed compatible” RAM for £14.39 per GB.

Presumably adding 3GB will be beneficial? However, Crucial’s advice includes two things I don’t understand.

1. It says “Your PC can handle 4096 MB”. I get confused over MB and GB. Can I have a total of 4GB RAM on my PC?

2. In saying each memory slot can take 1GB, it says “Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory”. I don’t understand that.

Also, you will probably have realised that my knowledge is limited, albeit I am fairly intelligent (!). Is it easy for someone inexperienced to install extra RAM?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Q2. Can the speeds in a matched pair be mixed? In other words, if the existing stick is 5300, is it OK to install a 6400 alongside it.

A. NO, they will be two odd ones. A matched pair means just that - matched, the same, not different.

Q3. If the existing stick is 5300 and I install another 5300 as its pair, must the second pair also be 5300 - or can it be 6400? Would I get better speeds if I made the second pair 6400?

A. You can have two 5300 sticks and two 6400 sticks. The 6400 sticks will run at the speed of the slower 5300 sticks. Just make sure you put them in the correct slots to make pairs (slots are colour coded so you don't get mixed up)

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

You could install the 2nd pair as 6400 but no point as the comp will run at the lower speed of 5300. So might as well put in 5300. Alternatively buy 4x1g 6400.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

"I was hoping to find a way to ascertain the speed of the existing RAM without having to open the case. Because of my setup, it is awkward to access it."..

You are going have to open it up to put Ram in !

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Agree iscanut.

Like this post
renard

Likes # 0

Many thanks to everyone who has so kindly given me advice on this post. I am very grateful to you all for having given so generously of your time and experience.

I now understand exactly what I need to do.

Sorry if I have been a bit slow on the uptake!

Many thanks again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Glad we could help with info, don't hesitate to start another post if you get future probs.

If you consider this thread sorted, please can you tick the box and click on the word 'Resolved' so that it will then be 'green ticked'

You have to do the above as a separate action - you cannot post any text at the same time.

It also means you will not get any more email notifications for this thread :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014