We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I improve on this router

Head hurts

Likes # 0

I run vista home premium through a Netgear DG834PN and use an iPad for surfing, emails etc wirelessly.
I live in a 3 bed detached house and the router is running in the office upstairs probably 4 metres away max.
The house is substantial being ex MOD.
My Internet connection is not the best and at max I get around 1.4meg and often far less so I need to maximise my equipment.
I admit that the latest technology may have passed me by so I hope you do not mind helping me.
My speed dropped to less than 0.5meg this morning and it increased again after changing router channels from 11 to 1 but as my speeds fluctuate this could have been coincidental.
Recently my Internet provider has been trying to help (plus net) but although the speeds were very low for around 2 weeks running at less than 0.5meg it increased just prior to referral to Openreach so apparently BT would not accept as fault due to line being within parameters.
Finally I was using a router supplied by them direct into the master socket and this was no better than my own, so are there any better routers I could purchase to maximise my speed and wireless connection?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

>>> My speed dropped to less than 0.5meg this
>>> morning and it increased again after changing
>>> router channels from 11 to 1 but as my speeds
>>> fluctuate this could have been coincidental.

I'd suggest running a speed test with the computer connected to the router by ethernet cable, not wirelessly, to establish the speed that you're actually getting from the ADSL service.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

iPad's , especially the earlier ones are notorious for poor wifi , Apple are going to release a patch , apparently , to solve the problem .

Ashley

Like this post
Head hurts

Likes # 0

To clarify, my main pc in the office is hard wired and my iPad is the very latest model being an Xmas present.
I have had my netgear router for a few years and I have been very pleased with it but we moved home around a year ago and speeds where I live are awful.
I wondered if any of the new routers have improved over my netgear so that I can maximise the low speeds I am receiving.
Any replies are much appreciated.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Probably down to the ISP or the state of your phone line/distance from exchange. Doubt that a new router would help (but post back with the hard-wired stats as mgmcc suggests).

Like this post
Head hurts

Likes # 0

Initially I was getting 0.5meg and as BT rate the line to this speed I thought this normal until round my neighbours one day and he did a speed test for me and his was 2.2 meg.
I contacted plusnet who did some button pushing and my speed shot up to 1.6meg.
This lasted for a few weeks then went down to 0.69meg, I again contacted my ISP who assured me I was not being capped despite every speed test stopping at this speed.
We then went through 2 weeks of them running all sorts of tests and me plugging their loan router directly into BT master socket.
Plusnet contacted me and ran a SNR reset and the speed went up to 1.29meg at this point plusnet said it could not be referred to BT as this was within the line parameters.
I know that my speeds will vary as we are at end of line for the service but if my neighbour next door can achieve speeds of 2meg plus then I should also, I have achieved 1.6meg.
I am on lowest tariff with plus net at £6.99 month for up to 8meg.
They assure me I am not being capped as I have asked if taking a higher tariff would help and they say 'no'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014