We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

network discovery

lokoponty

Likes # 0

in the advanced sharing option of my win 7.the network discovery is always off even when i try to turn it on it still goes off immediately.is there a way i can get it to be on permanently because i share my internet connection and its making it difficult for connection.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

The following is an extract from Windows help & support in Vista, but dont know if it applies to W7 but its worth checking out. Also be aware that XP does not support network discovery but there is a hotfix available from Microsoft, I have tried it and it works ok. Any of your PCs that have XP will need to have the hotfix installed in order to participate in network discovery.

Hope this is of some help.

Network discovery requires that the dnscache, fdrespub, ssdpsrv, and upnphost services are started, that the Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled, and that other firewalls are not interfering with network discovery. If some but not all of these are true, the network discovery state will be shown as Custom.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

These are the instructions for W7:

Network discovery requires that the DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host services are started, that network discovery is allowed to communicate through Windows Firewall, and that other firewalls are not interfering with network discovery. If some but not all of these are true, the network discovery state will be shown as Custom.

Like this post
dawood

Likes # 0

Check out this network discovery in Windows 7 article click here , maybe could help you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone