We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desk top 'tower' making funny noise!

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I bought my desk top about 10 months ago, and recently I noticed that while I am using it, the tower starts making a funny noise for a while, and then the noise stops!

Do you think there is a fault somewhere? Shall I take it back to the shop and ask them to have a look at it?

Thank You.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem. Thought it was the hard drive, but found the CPU cooling fan was full of fluff etc. If you are confident to look at it, I would have a look and be prepared to have a compressed ai can to blow fluff away. If under warranty the shop mat do it for you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Could just be the fan speeding up when your'e working it hard.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

A better description of the type of noise and if you can make out which part of the PC it is coming from would be helpful.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Could be a range of things, possibly fans, hard-drive, case not sitting on a flat surface.

If you are competent enough, remove one of the side panels and have a look inside, when you next start-up. But check to see if there any warranty seals, before removing the panel.

Remember that the inside of the case will be 'live', so don't start sticking your hand or fingers in, unless you know what you are doing.

Perhaps as a consolation, my computer started to make a noise recently, but it seems to have settled down now?.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The fan on my graphics card starts running rough. So we get a nasty whining sound for a week or two, then it settles down again to be almost silent.

Sometimes, when this happens, I'll turn everything off > Take the side panel off > Give all the Fans and Cooler fins a delicate wee 'go' with a 1" bristle Paint Brush > then give everything a blow out with the Hairdryer on its Cool/Anti Static Setting.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem a while back (on an older computer) and found the one of the IDE cables was rubbing against the CPU fan housing --Must have been when I moved it to plug in a usb cable- or something.

tied the cable back- Problem solved

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...