We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ACER and WAP

aoe276

Likes # 0

I am installing a new BT home broadband and have had no problems with two ACER laptops.

Hoever, when I tried setting up my wife's ACER Aspire M1610 it said it did not support WAP. Even when I tried changing the hub to WEP it did not like it.

The 1610 uses an SIS adaptor. Any other drivers or other advice?

Many thanks
TonyE

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The Acer Aspire M1610 appears to be a desktop PC that doesn't incorporate a Wireless Network Adapter. If it is being used with an adapter that you've added, either USB or an internal PCI card, it will be the adapter's drivers that need to implement support for WEP or WPA encryption. If using WEP, it might be necessary to use a hexadecimal key rather than ASCII which some hardware doesn't like.

[Incidentally, the more secure encryption is "WPA" (wiFi Protected Access) and not "WAP".]

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

You can still add another WiFi card and disable the internal card from Windows. Then install the new card (USB dongle would beOK) and it's software drivers. Make sure you buy a dongle that supports the encryption type you require.

Like this post
aoe276

Likes # 0

Sorry for the previous reply. You are quite correct, I forgot it was hard wired.

Mea culpa!

Regards
TonyE

Like this post
aoe276

Likes # 0

No, it came with a wireless card from Acer when it was purchased. It has been working perfectly well with an old BT hub, but presumably that was WEP.

What alternatives do I have? Install a different adaptor?

Thanks
TonyE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...