We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If you were to put your Software on an SSD Drive

wee eddie

Likes # 0

Say: Windows 7 Home Premium, M$ Office Pro (or Equiv), a Photo Editor, the usual Protection and a little more.

All files to go on a normal Disk drive, say 1TB.

What size of SSD would one recommend.

I shall probably not be buying until the late spring but am just beginning to get my ideas together.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This should answer your question.click here

Like this post
ashdav

Likes # 0

I'm using an SSD as my C drive and it contains no data files.
It's 40GB and partioned 35GB for Win7 Ultimate and programs (15GB in use) and 5GB (4GB in use) for a pagefile.
There is no pagefile in the C partition or on any other drive.
Made a huge difference to the computer starting up.
Takes 15 secs after the BIOS has finished posting.
All programs ran faster afterwards.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

A very interesting link - I even follow about 25% of it on s good day with the wind behind me!

ashdev...

Pagefiles are not a thing I have played with before - let alone in another partition! But I've been reading about them,and there whys and wherefores an I _think_ I see what they are on about.

BOTH of you...

I am genuinely grateful for your thoughts, help and guidance. I have been spending quite a bit of time on Google this morning trying to see if anybody has produced some form of "Dummies Guide" to suit my needs (and experience level and limited playing with hardware).

PLEASE, either of you, correct me if I've misunderstood and I am wrong in my thoughts so far in what I envisage...

Copy my existing HDD1 partition C: (OS) drive (my OS of XP SP3 and all other program files) to partitioned HHD2 partition E:(OS B/U) with TI10 for later. Also back up HDD1 D:(Data)to HDD2 F:.

Rename 'old' HDD1 drives as, say X: and Y: for now and put it to one side for later.

Insert a new SSD as new SSD1 and format as C: with an 'extra' partition of, say P: to hold the Pagefile. Forget about having D: Data on this drive.

'Recover', via TI10 my OS from HDD2 E: to new SSD1 C:.

Get out blanket, place over head, monitor and keyboard and utter incantations to the great guru in the sky to help me with the Pagefile bit coz I've never done anything there and, consequently, don't understand it very well... (yet). I can understand creating partitions though!

Recover 'old' HDD1 C: with TI10 to make a new SSD1 C: (System) and utter magic spells at the Pagefile.

When all the OS is working, muck about with 'old' HDD1 and turn it into a 'new' unpartitioned HDD3 D: Data.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Ahhh. I've researched (thank you Google) 'cracked' about Pagefile locations and understand that better.
click here (for others interested)

I could format and repartition my (soon to become redundant) HDD1 with a partition for my Pagefile work. That ought to reduce wear and tear dramatically on my SSD (if and when I go for it).

Then, perhaps, relocate my Outlook data of address book, emails and 'My Documents' folder(s) to another this 'new' HDD partition? Are there any other bits of frequent change stuff in 'Documents and Settings' that would benefit the wear and tear on the SSD?

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Perhaps this should be my next project... after I've attacked my current aim.

click here

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

Atm I'm not running an ssd, the 160 ones are too pricey and they don't work well in raid

I don't see the point in getting one if I can't get all my programs on it ( if I can't I'm gonna loose a lot more time organising what goes on it than what will be saved in load up time )

The main time I wait is loading game levels and ssd aren't the best for this and I'd need 300gb for it.. too expensive

Start up time is meant to be much improved.. I do this only once a day

When I picked up my 2x western digital 300gb velociraptor for 100 each its hard to justify a 160gb hdd for the same price. The raid 0 on these drives isn't as quick as an ssd but with 600gb and combined revs at 20000rpm I never need to worry about what's on them

I'll need a 320gb drive for 200 before I take the plunge

Like this post
ashdav

Likes # 0

As a matter of interest if you've got 3.5GB (or more) of RAM and a 32bit system you can dispense with the pagefile altogether.
SSD or not.
This forces Windows to use the RAM which is much faster than a SSD anyway.
If you're using 64bit then 6GB of RAM should be enough.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Something new that I've learnt!

Double-checking, I see that I'm running my XP Home SP3, Which I could swap with a machine which is XP Pro, on an Athlon 7750 Dual Core running at 2.7M and using 2Gb RAM. And I've _just_ reloaded it all about a month ago.

So, under those circumstances, and after much thought, I think that things will have to go on hold for a little longer until I have done quite a bit of upgrading of what I've got before going SSD to really benefit.

Shame, really :o((

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......