We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If you were to put your Software on an SSD Drive

wee eddie

Likes # 0

Say: Windows 7 Home Premium, M$ Office Pro (or Equiv), a Photo Editor, the usual Protection and a little more.

All files to go on a normal Disk drive, say 1TB.

What size of SSD would one recommend.

I shall probably not be buying until the late spring but am just beginning to get my ideas together.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What is M$?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

M$ is the Charity arm of Microsoft.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A$ A$ta for Wall-Mart, you mean, or Te$$co for the shareholders?
wee eddie, you a bui$$ne$ man?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I don't know how long you've been around this particular block but this particular nomenclature has been around for, to my certain knowledge, 14 years at the very least.

Yes I am a Business man, but that does not deny me the right to suggest that M$ have an almost Monopoly position which they exploit to the full.

Now, if you have nothing to add to my question, could you go back to bed!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

w€€ €ddie, knew I'd wind you up. Not nice when it backfires eh? Just because the "nomenclature " (another name for childishness) has been around for 14 years doesdn't make it right or less childish.
Night night.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Unfortunately I have no idea of what you're on about.

Suggest you try click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Word Origin & History

nomenclature

1610, "a name," from Fr. nomenclature, from L. nomenclatura "calling of names," from nomenclator "namer," from nomen "name" + calator "caller, crier," from calare "call out" (see calendar). Nomenclator in Rome was the title of a steward whose job was to announce visitors, and also of a prompter who helped a stumping politician recall names and pet causes of his constituents. Meaning "list or catalogue of names" first attested 1635; that of "system of naming" is from 1664; sense of "terminology of a science" is from 1789. Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

Anyway doesn't matter.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This year I'm planning on buying a barebones system from Novatech. Possibly an i3 cpu. Was thinking of getting an ssd for the os, security and monitoring apps for broadband and cpu temp. The rest would be installed on a second ordinary sata drive. These SSDs are still expensive so thinking of a 64 GB ssd. Should be enough. It's a 2.5" drive and an adapter to make it fit.
click here
and adapter; click here
Trying to keep the costs down.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I currently have the Vertex 2 55Gb which contains my O/S and programs which total at the moment 102.I still have 18GB remaining.Everything else is on a separate drive.
click here my case comes with the necessary fittings for the SSD but the Vertex also comes with the adapter.

Crucial will soon be bringing out the C400 SSD drives which will be faster still.

So size is really up to you and what you need and can afford.

I initially had the Kingston but was not overly impressed with its performance.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What I should really do is to find out the Installed Volume of Windows 7 Home Premium, M$ Office Pro, a Photo Editor, and the usual Protection programs, add them all up and then perhaps double it, to give me the required Volume.

I was hoping that someone had already done that and would be prepared to share, thereby saving me the trouble.

At the present, prices of SSDs are not expected to not drop much in the next year or two, so having a lot of redundant space likely to be relatively expensive. That is why I have put the question.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room