We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can I change my operating system

lightbulb1

Likes # 0

I have had a HP Notebook for about a year now the operating system is Windows 7. I have tried and tried to get to grips with this system and I just don't like it. I would love to go back to Windows XP which I know and love plus use Outlook Express e-mail program (which I cant do with W7) is it possible to buy a disc and load XP?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You can but you need to make sure you have all the XP drivers required for the machine before starting.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I don't think you can legally buy an XP disk now, as Microsoft will not licence new installations.
If you have an old copy of XP, that has already been licenced, provided it is a full version and not an OEM (Tied to one machine), it should be OK.

Depending on the Windows 7 version you have, you may be able to download a patch to run XP on your machine while leaving Windows 7 intact.

I have not tried this link (do so at your own risk)

click here

Terry

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

still have a few copies of XP professional left

click here

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Still available on Amazon Marketplace click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You'll regret it.
flofogarty, once you get to grips with 7 and download Windows Live 2011 then you won't look back.
Not so different to outlook or xp.

Like this post
lightbulb1

Likes # 0

sounds like I need to keep trying Dave, but i hate it!

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

I would endorse rdave13, but sympathise. I felt (feel) the same about vista - but its a different fish, and its bashing has been done to death
- I just switched off as much as I could to make it xp, but all the things that moved were a bit of a pain.

Tried the Windows7 beta and loved it (its what vista should have been), but I begrudge paying for an upgrade. I dual boot between Ubuntu and vista now, but am am finding fewer reasons to use vista.
If I had W7 I probably wouldnt have been tempted... keep plugging away it will be worth it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks