We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing Network set up

barrydol

Likes # 0

Hi advice needed please. My current Network set up is a Belkin Router wired to my Virgin modem via my Desktop PC, I have 3 laptops linked to the router via the wireless network. Im getting rid of my Desktop PC. If I then link the router directly to the modem would the Network still work ok? Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I must admit that is a very strange way for them to advise. Have you sorted it now then?

Like this post
barrydol

Likes # 0

Hi Strawballs, your right I did have to keep my desktop on, but thats the way the belkin manual told me to set it up! Anyway thanks.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Yes that is the usual way of doing things, the way you had it is unusual because you have to have your desktop on all the time.

Just unplug everything Inc modem and leave for at least 10 min better half hour then connect the router to the Modem and switch the modem on first and leave until the ready light is on constant then turn on the router and leave that to settle down for about 10 min then all the laptops after that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...