We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help? Help? Help?

happyhotspur

Likes # 0

I do not know what has happened to my laptop, all of a sudden I keep getting a flash of blue screen with writing on it but it flashes to quick for me to read, then the laptop powers down and back on again. This only started happening on Monday.

I have done virus checks, diagnostics start ups etc, I have even tested every component on the machine via a diagnostic program and found no faults.

I don't really want to reload Windows 7 if I can avoid it but cannot understand why this is happening.

Could the Windows Registry have become corrupt.

Sometimes the machine is rebooting even before its fully loaded and before the windows screen appears. Other times it happens when I try to log on to my home page, and twice this morning in the middle of me attempting a full backup of my system, it just re booted.

Anybody got any ideas, or do I need to contact Dell?

I have a Dell Studio 1558 running Windows 7

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

First of all you will need to stop automatic restarts after a blue screen so you can note down the error message and code.
Follow the instructions here: click here

Then post here the error code and error title.

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

Thanks for that have now disabled the auto restart and will post error message later. I have run Malwarebyte and it found 0 errors so don't know if they had anything to do with it, but certainly when I was searching on google search whenever I clicked on a link it went to a completely different web page very strange, so hopefully this has now stopped.

I am running Avira antivir personal and thought this would be okay, but now not so sure.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Simple thing to check that the fans are not clogged with dust, it sounds more of a hardware problem I feel rather than some malware.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

I had this and after lots of advice on here, it needed a TDSSKiller . Other malware/antivirus progs had no effect, but this click here did the trick

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Glad its sorted.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Is it?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I thought you said it was?

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

Just spent several hours with Dell Tech who after doing all the checks I had already done have informed me its a software error and it will cost me money to sort it out with their software team.

I'm gonna wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows 7 myself then reload all my programs one at a time.

Seems a better option

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This might help to make life a little easier,it install the more popular programs in a oner.click here

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

That's a useful link, Ta!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...