We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how can i get my laptop to send wireless network

lokoponty

Likes # 0

i use an asus k50c and used to send wireless network connection from it until recently when i upgraded my OS to windows 7 and changed my antivirus to AVG internet security 2011. whenever i try to set up an ad-hoc network, it doesnt prompt me to turn on internet sharing which used to be there before and now no other computer can connect to my network, though it shows on the wireless network list.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network and enabling Internet Connection Sharing are separate procedures. It is quite possible to have an Ad Hoc network between two computers for transferring files without either being connected to the internet.

In the Asus PC, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection which, presumably, is the PC's internet connection and select Properties. Click the 'Sharing' tab and tick the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". This will give the Wireless Network Connection the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - the "client" computer gets its IP address automatically by DHCP from the Asus PC. Now set up your Ad Hoc wireless network.

Like this post
lokoponty

Likes # 0

thanks,the prompting came up at first then went off again.though there was connection only the skype application and desktop gadgets were working...none of the browsers was working...unable to open page

Like this post
lokoponty

Likes # 0

its still not working!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

How is the Laptop connecting to the internet that you need to use an Ad Hoc wireless network and Internet Connection Sharing?

If you're still using a USB ADSL Modem, have you considered upgrading to a wireless "Modem/Router", which would be a much more reliable solution than Internet Connection Sharing?

Like this post
lokoponty

Likes # 0

thnx

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015