We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop wired 30meter cable or homeplug to tv

nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Hi,I have xp desktop Dell 6years old wired to router,laptop Vista wirelessly.I would like to play video from laptop to tv via hdmi cable but sometimes lose video for some time during play.Should I simply buy 30 metre ethernet from router in other room to laptop while in living room.ie 'wired' or alternitely buy homeplugs ethernet to router and plug in living room? I'm quite confused with the concepts with the ease or problems of either. Many thanks

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Either will work. A cable would be a good solution if you can run it easily - 30m isn't a problem.

HomePlug/PowerLine are also acceptable if you are unable to run the 30m cable.

Cable will always be faster but HomePlug should be easily fast enough even with a slower speed adaptor.

Chose which is easiest for you. Cable is cheap if you buy it from ebay whereas HomePlug is likely to cost £40-50 as you need a pair.

One advantage of HomePlug is you can easily move the adaptors to different mains sockets so you have a very flexible system. Always plug the adaptor directly into a socker and don't use any form of flying lead.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

There is nothing to cause confusion with an ethernet connection. You plug one end of the cable into a LAN port in the router and the other end into the computer's network port and that's it. Unlike "wireless", you don't need to search for available networks and then go through a procedure to "Connect".

With Homeplugs, you run an ethernet cable from the router to a Homeplug and, in the other location, a second ethernet cable from a Homeplug to the computer. I haven't used Homeplugs but understand they're "plug & play", so there shouldn't be anything to configure with them either.

I would have thought the Homeplug solution is the neater, unless you are able to hide the run of ethernet cable.

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

dms_05 & mgmcc, Thank you both very much for responses.Using the cable seems easiest and cheapest method.I will only be doing it occasionally and cable will not be in way for long periods,only as and when needed.You both have reassured me about ease of using cable without 'palaver' involved with WiFi.I thank you both very much.Ian

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite