We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot Connect Sony Bravia to Netgear Router-Wired

JMom77

Likes # 0

I cannot make my Sony Bravia Connect to our Network using a Cat5 cable directly connected to the Router. (Netgear) The Wireless works just fine as both of our laptops and our son's Wii are connected without issue...

I have rebooted everything multiple times, did a hard restore on the television. When we connect directly to the Modem. the TV will connect to the internet. But when we use the router.. No go..

What am I doing?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

This is a "long shot", and I don't know if it applies to you, but some Netgear routers won't allow a network adapter to connect if its MAC address (physical address) doesn't start with "00".

If this is the case, updating the router's firmware *might* resolve the problem.

Like this post
JMom77

Likes # 0

Thank you.. How do I go about giving that a try?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Firstly, I'd try to establish what the MAC address of the TV's network adapter is. I can tell you how to find the MAC address of a PC's adapter, but I've no idea how to find a TVs. It could be on the label with serial number and other details.

If it definitely doesn't start with "00", then you'd have to go to Netgear's website and download the latest firmware for your router. There will be an option in the router's configuration pages to update the firmware and the procedure will involve 'browsing' to the location in the PC where you saved the file. This assumes that you have a standard retail version of the router. If it was supplied by Sky or one of the Virgin Media brands (Telewest/NTL), it will probably not be possible to change the firmware. In the case of Sky, changing the firmware might prevent it from continuing to work with Sky.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)