We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

full restore - now cant connect to wireless

hebcat

Likes # 0

Have just had a full restore on father-in-laws laptop due to it running extremely slow. previously connected to wireless no problem. but now can't seem to do so. it can see the router but can't seem to get IP address, just keeps trying to acquire network address. its connecting no problem via ethernet.

any help appreciated.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Try disabling anything that could stop it connecting , firewall and wireless security ( temporarily of course ) and try connecting again . If successful try changing the security key to something different to what has been used before ..

Ashley

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Yes, it's probably a problem with the security password

Like this post
hebcat

Likes # 0

Where will I find the settings for security to be able to change/disable?
Thanks

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

They are stored on the wireless router itself , the key that probably needs changing is the one you enter when you try to connect to the internet wirelessly .

If you have a set up disk you can try using that to change things , some routers have a pre set security key printed on the underside or the back and some you need to log into from a browser .

Tell us the make and model of yours and someone here will be able to help further .

Ashley

Like this post
hebcat

Likes # 0

When I got the laptop back I tried connecting at both my father in laws house and my house, both are sky broadband routers and have the network key printed on the bottom of the router.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

When you say " had a full restore " and " when I got it back " do you mean that someone did it for you ? If so , and you paid them for it , it is their problem to get it working correctly , take it back to wherever you had the work done and get them to fix it .

If you wish to try something before taking it back I suggest un-installing the wireless card using Device Manager , then rebooting the PC and letting Windows find the card and reload the drivers for it .

Ashley

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

You could also try deleting all wireless networks, then search afresh.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014