We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

more tv buffering

bothy

Likes # 0

Got new dell laptop. Plenty of memory 4gb/500gb.
When i run bbc iplayer no problem. When I run skyplayer I get constant buffering. I don't understand. Why does that happen? Is sky (not hd) using adifferent broadcast system? Do I need additional equipment? Tks

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

It all depends on how much bandwidth Sky is using.

E.g. If you have a 4" water pipe and you have 10 people using it, all will get a get a good supply, however if 100 people are using the same pipe, each will get some but at a slower rate.

Terry

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Like this post
bothy

Likes # 0

So, in reality, does that mean that few people can stream live sky continuously without buffering or is it a function of where you live eg great in the Highlands but rubbish in London? I wanted to watch golf live on my laptop but buffering drives me crazy. How can I download live and watch later?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In effect you want to use your PC as a HD or DVD TV recorder. On my desktop I have a built in TV Tuner and use the Media Centre function to record normal Freeview HD. Not sure what OS you have - I have W7 Ultimate on my desktop. On my laptop I have W7 Home Premium. On my laptop I have a USB TV dongle that works best plugged in to my roof aerial, but has a small aerial also. I can record TV on that via the freeview TV Dongle.My solution only applies to Freeview, not Sky or iPlayers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...