We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HELP FOR A WIRELESS DUMMY

NormanB

Likes # 0

I know nothing about wireless technology so would appreciate some help.
We currently have a desktop pc using Windows XP with a talk talk speedtouch modem. The pc is located on the first floor of the house. I have just bought a new laptop which is wireless enabled and runs windows 7.

Is it possible to buy a wireless router that I can install in the telephone socket in the living room to use with the laptop there while maintaining and not affecting the existing modem connection to the desktop or do I need to do something different - if so what- and what hardware would I need.

Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You need a *combined* Router & ADSL Modem which replaces your existing USB ADSL Modem. All computers then connect to the router, either "wirelessly" or by ethernet cable.

You cannot use a USB ADSL Modem in conjunction with a router and you cannot have more than one modem connected to the ADSL enabled phone line.

Like this post
NormanB

Likes # 0

Thank you. Couple of follow up questions if I may -
Does an ethernet cable have a usb connection so that I can connect to the desk top - if not how do I connect to the desk top.

Can you advise on the specifications I need to be looking for so that the new router will "transmit" the distance needed to connect to the laptop. - Are there any you would recommend

Will the new router "recognise" immediately that talk talk is the provider or do I have to get some software from talk talk or tell them I now have a wireless router

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

An ethernet cable has RJ45 plugs at both ends. (Similar to the RJ11 plug on a Modem cable but larger.) Routers normally have four RJ45 LAN ports and a computer with a network adapter installed will have one RJ45 port. To check if the PC has a network adapter installed, go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK) and look for an entry "Local Area Connection". If this is present, you will have the necessary port at the back of the PC.

If the new Laptop has an 802.11n Wireless Adapter, you should get a router that also supports 802.11n, which is the latest standard. Examples of Modem/Routers for ADSL click here

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The router come with a CD. This will run a wizard to guide you through setting up the router to connect to the ISP (TalkTalk) and also its "wireless" configuration.

Like this post
NormanB

Likes # 0

Thank you so much - yes indeed there is a LAN icon in the desk top network connections section - at the moment it is disabled

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad