We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Music wired network

objective

Likes # 0

Hiya - I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (RND2210) connected via a D-Link Switch (DAP-1522)v.1 to a Squeezebox Duet. Its wired because I have huge music files (>100Gb FLAC) that the Duet plays for me - wireless struggles to keep up.
I have an old T41 IBM laptop that I can use to setup the network.
I'd like to give this little island of connectivity access to the internet.
Every day I use a wireless network for my work laptops; an IBM X200s and a T42 connecting via a HTC Evo 4G (PC36100) which provides a wireless hotspot for up to 8 connected devices.
Can I link my wired, music network into my currently separate wireless, PC network, perhaps using the T41 laptop (with its wired NIC & a wireless NIC) as a bridge . . .??
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Paul

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If the T41 Laptop connects to the internet "wirelessly" and its wired ethernet adapter is not currently used, you can enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Wireless Network Connection. Your wired music network could then connect to the ethernet adapter for internet access.

When you do this, the T41 Laptop's "wired" ethernet adapter will be given the IP address 192.168.0.1 by Windows and will act as the DHCP server to allocate IP addresses to the connected devices.

From your other thread, I see that your router operates in the 192.168.0.0 Subnet, so this will have to be changed to avoid a conflict as Internet Connection Sharing must use this range. You need to change the third octet (number) of your router's own IP address from "0" to say 1 or 2. Computers getting their addresses automatically will continue to do so, but the one you've manually configured would have to have its third octet changed too. Any firewall configuration that uses IP addresses will need to be reconfigured.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED