We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't connect router - Talktalk

TheCorner

Likes # 0

Hello,

I recently got a Belkin G Wireless router and tried to connect it today in vain.

I got all of the way through the set up until it told me that I needed to verify a user name and password which my ISP would have.

I called an automated line to TalkTalk and retrieved these and entered the details but the router set up said my ISP did not recognise them.

What is my next step please?

Thanks
Mick

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The Username and Password you require will be the same as those you're using with your current Router or Modem to connect to TalkTalk.

They might also be the same as those used to retrieve mail from your TalkTalk account.

Like this post
TheCorner

Likes # 0

The Username and Password you require will be the same as those you're using with your current Router or Modem to connect to TalkTalk.

Thanks, how do I find out what they are?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Presumably when you signed up with TalkTalk they provided you with a Username & Password. Unless you have changed either one, these will still apply.

If your email address is thecorner(at)talktalk.net then you Username is probably 'thecorner'.

Like this post
TheCorner

Likes # 0

Here lie sthe problem though.

I called TalkTalk and an automated line gave me my details of

Username - myphonenumber(at)talktalk.net
Password (eg) - F6M7V3P8

I entered these when trying to install router and it came back with the reply "Your ISP does not recognise this information"

Tried to speak to TalkTalk but tehy have not replied as yet.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The Password will be "case sensitive", so make sure you're using upper or lower case letters as appropriate.

Like this post
TonyW2

Likes # 0

Try
myphonenumber(at)talktalk.net (at) talktalk.net
Password (eg) - F6M7V3P8

ie talktalk.net appears twice
Can't promise but i think that is how the Account is set up/

Like this post
Tau1974

Likes # 0

You may need an Adsl router as I had this problem on talk talk until I realised I had the wrong router!!!!

If your using a speedtouch modem to connect to the Internet you will need an Adsl router/modem to work with talk talk.

Good luck

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more