We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up a network drive

Siberian Winter

Likes # 0

Hello. A few years ago I bought a Safecom network drive enclosure with a view to using a surplus hard drive as a network drive. I have a desktop PC running XP SP3 connected to a SpeedTouch 580 router by ethernet, and 2 laptops, one running XP and the other Vista connected wirelessly. I couldn't get it to work back then but I've decided to have another go. My problem is that the instructions are full of technical jargon, abbreviations and complicated options that are way over my head. All I want is a simple drive that I can plug into my router and have it accessible from all three computers. Does anyone know of a simple procedure for doing this? I connect the drive to the router with an ethernet cable but I can't access the drive. Thanks in advance for any help.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

There must be a procedure for giving the network drive an IP address or enabling it to get it by DHCP from the router. It should then be accessible from any computers in the network, provided their firewalls don't block that IP address.

Like this post
Siberian Winter

Likes # 0

This is my problem. I don't know what that procedure is. The best I can say is that the router recognises that there's something plugged into it. When I run diagnostics it shows the ethernet port as active, but an IP address? DHCP? This networking stuff is a black art to me. I was rather hoping that there may be someone out there who's done this before on a speedtouch 580. I've got a feeling I'll have to give up on this. It looks like I've got another USB drive.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you can post details of the actual device, it might be possible to find and download a PDF copy of the instructions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback