We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Implication of getting a MAC

Border View

Likes # 0

I have used a PC with windows for ten years so in that respect am not a beginner. However I don't have a clue about a MAC

Question: I use Family Historian which is a gedcom file; I have extensive photographs on Jpeg and BMP; loads of files on word documents (I use Microsoft Office 2003 on my PC) - If I buy a MAC will I be able to load my files onto CDs or memory sticks and put them onto the MAC?

Some advice please which will help me decide whether or not I buy a new MAC or a new PC desktop

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I changed over to a iMAC about a year ago from a Windows based system, Transfered all my docs pics etc no problems.

Noldi

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

If I had the money yes !

Don't get me wrong, my last two PC's, a Medion & a Packard Bell have been / are great PC's but the deign and build quality of Mac's is great, that's in part what you pay for.

They now used Intel CPU's and the OS X IS an incredible, stable, secure OS as Matt said. ( Still awake @ 3.20 in the afternoon Matt ? ) The system is not virus free but almost.

Some of the software available for Mac's ie DTP, art, design and movie work are second to non IMHO.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have now had to rethink.

I am Running M$ Office XP(2002) and I have discovered that, although I can get a Mac version of Office, it is not possible to port Outlook's .pst File into between the two.

Outlook holds all my last 20 years Contact and Friend details and is therefor, as it were, "Mission Critical".

Sad. If it were MS Office XP (2003), there would be no problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...