We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Implication of getting a MAC

Border View

Likes # 0

I have used a PC with windows for ten years so in that respect am not a beginner. However I don't have a clue about a MAC

Question: I use Family Historian which is a gedcom file; I have extensive photographs on Jpeg and BMP; loads of files on word documents (I use Microsoft Office 2003 on my PC) - If I buy a MAC will I be able to load my files onto CDs or memory sticks and put them onto the MAC?

Some advice please which will help me decide whether or not I buy a new MAC or a new PC desktop

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

click here= One of these should be able to help.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

One major implication is that you would have to leave the PCA forums!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

morddwyd

If this forum can put up with LINUX, and every windows system from win 98 to WIn 7 (Has anyone got a win 95 or DOS computer?), why should MAC's be excluded.

Spread the knowledge- let us all share and learn.
Terry

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

The simple answer is "Yes".

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thank you ams4127 I believe that answered my question

morddwyd and Terry - sorry but you lost me off completely.

When I joined PCA forum I was about the 38 thousand member. Not sure how high the membership number has risen. I can never remember discrimination on this forum between PC or MAC.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Please forgive me for missing you out. Thank you for those links.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sorry, it was meant to be a joke.

These are PC Advisor Forums.

By general consensus Macs are not normally regarded as PCs.

However, as the forums also cover Blackberry, tablets, mobiles and laptops (not to mention tinned goods!) I did not really think that anyone would take me seriously!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

One of the implications to bear in mind is that many will believe you, as a Mac owner, to be a poseur graphics artist type who routinely wears sandals, values 'cool' above any other attribute, and has much more money than sense.

Yes, that was a joke too... ;-)

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Have a look at this article from..............PCA
click here

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

bremner - thank you for that link.

Ian in Northampton - but how did you know how well to sum me up. And I have never been square. lol.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more