We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buffering?

Iceman244

Likes # 0

I am trying to watch episodes of an American TV programme on my laptop but the programme keeps stopping and it says buffering in the top corner.
The programmes I am trying to view are on click here
Can anyone let me know how to solve this problem so that I can watch the programmes please?
Many thanks.

Like this post
MAT ALAN

Likes # 0

Make sure you have enough memory to make buffer times short. If you can get rid of a few things that you don't need, that will make your memory larger. Start by looking through the task manager and deleting anything that you don't want. Getting rid of any spyware can also free up memory

Close any unnecessary windows while the video is playing. If you're watching a video on Windows Media Player or a similar player, close your browser. Try to have as few programs running as possible when loading a streaming video. This is an easy solution that will immediately improve the buffering time.

Like this post
Iceman244

Likes # 0

Can you expand on this more please?

How do I look through task manager or see how much free memory I have?

I am just watching the programme through the actual website with nothing else open or running.

Like this post
MAT ALAN

Likes # 0

If you are not au fait with "task manager" you might turn off something you shouldn't, if you are still having problems it could be from the source of the file or your PC is just not fast enough...

click here

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

that your PC is unable to download the File as fast as it is being displayed.

The solution is to download the program and watch it later. Or even delay starting to watch it until it has been downloading for several minutes. For a half hour program, a 10 minute delay is frequently sufficient.

Like this post
MAT ALAN

Likes # 0

Thanks wee eddie, that was me next statement, i sometimes have trouble and the simplest way is exactly how you have explained it... Ta muchly...

Like this post
Iceman244

Likes # 0

Hi wee eddie.

I have tried to download the file to watch it later but it keeps cutting out.

Can you explain what you mean about delaying watching until it has been downloading for several minutes and how I do this please?

Many thanks

Like this post
MAT ALAN

Likes # 0

At this point it might be an idea to post your system specs...

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

try the free speedbit software it speeds up the buffering, solved the problem on our laptop

click here

[tip....de select toobar on install and deselect speedbit for homepage and search eninge if asked]

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Put it on pause, this will allow it to build up. Once the bar is about a third of the way across then start watching. Hopefully it should then be so far ahead that you will only catch up at the end of the program.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You beat me to it, by a short head.

That's what I had to do when I had a 'Dial-up' connection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...