We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't access my site but...

Jigzoos

Likes # 0

I can't access my own website from my PC but others can from theirs. My TC/IP propereties are set to "find DNS settings automatically". and I can access all websites but my own. But when I enter my servers DNS settings instead of finding them automatically, I can access my site but no others. I keep getting "cannot find server" error messages. Just spent 2 days reading forums for an answer but can't find anywhere. Can anyone help?

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

When did you last access your own website?

What settings have you changed between then and now?

Like this post
Jigzoos

Likes # 0

Last time was Friday, 2 days ago. Since then whatever I've changed I've changed back. I've done a System Restore back to Friday morning, but didn't help. Used CCleaner but no good. One forum suggested manually entering ip settings but this didn't help. Another suggested changing the host file but either that didn't help or I did it wrong. I basically changed nothing between it being OK Friday and not being OK Sat morning. It also won't connect to my domains mail server but only intermittently.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Have you spoken to whoever hosts your site to establish whether or not they've made any changes?

Like this post
Jigzoos

Likes # 0

Yes, I've been in constant contact. Because they can see the site, they say it's a local problem. They changed servers about a month ago but it's been OK since then. One thing, my domain has a bad reputation because spammers have been using it, but again, it's been OK for a long time. Could my own system be locking me out? Can't see why if I can access the site when I use manual DNS settings. Thanks for helping, by the way.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Try CCleaner to clear your Cookies

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try Command prompt.Type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard.
it should tell you Dns cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Can you access your site by its ip address rather than name?

Can you "ping" your site by either name or ip address.

Do you have a log in / control panel from your hosting company? Is there an option to "point domain at hosting"? I forgot to do this last time I changed hosts and could access my own site for a couple of days.

Like this post
Jigzoos

Likes # 0

Tried cCleaner cleaned everything but no change. Tried ipconfig /flushdns but no good. Tried ipconfig to find my ip address and it pinged OK. Not sure about "point domain at hosting". Can't find this in cPanel, have asked my host about it. They changed servers a few weeks ago and I entered the new ones and all was OK til Friday.

Like this post
Jigzoos

Likes # 0

Oops forgot. No, it won't let me ping by my domain name. Not sure how to find my ip address. Tried ipconfig /all and the ip address obtained appears to be a router according to google. This ip address pings ok.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Your website will have an ip address and your hosting company should be able to supply it.
Try pinging that address

(A DNS (Domain Name Server) translates names to ip addresses - if you watch the bottom left corner as your pc connects to a website the ip address sometimes flashes up as it connects.)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...