We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

deny access to a devce on a network

1973scotty

Likes # 0

how can i keep a linux tv box connected to a router, and have a wireless network open aswell.
can anyone recommend a router that has a good firewall built in and a wirelss on off switch.

so i have been asked by my local club to open the wireless network, but make sure no one can access the linux box via the wirelss network.

any suugestions

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Does the "Linux box" have a software firewall that could be configured to deny access to the "pool" of IP addresses that would be allocated to PCs in the wireless network? Its own IP address would then be allocated manually from outside the router's DHCP pool.

The purpose of a router is normally to *allow* connected devices to be networked and, although the Netgear router I have can give connected computers Internet only access, this isn't really what you want as presumably the wireless computers need to access one another.

Like this post
1973scotty

Likes # 0

the clubs network is only for internet access only and, not for sharing information from one pc to another. the devices most likely to use it will be mobile phones, such as iphone or android phones.

what i would need is the linux box hardwired to a router, which will allow the linux box to be connected to 5 servers over the internet. but block any other device from cummunicating with the linux box.

but also to allow people to come into the club and use the wireless network, to connect to the internet only.but not be able to connect to the linux box.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Possibly the simplest way to achieve what you want would be to have a wireless router connected to the internet, which members can connect their devices to. Connect a (second) "Cable/DSL" router with an ethernet cable from its WAN port to one of the main router's LAN ports, then connect the Linux box to this. The second router would operate in a different Subnet (IP address range) from the main router and therefore the members' devices connected to the main router couldn't access the Linux box, or any computers connected to the second router.

Like this post
1973scotty

Likes # 0

cheers will give it a ago

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more