We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Inability to connect wirelessly to Router

Issy

Likes # 0

I have a desktop attached to a Belkin Router.I have just purchased a Medion P6624 laptop and it won't connect to the Router.Other people have connected their laptops to it but mine will not work.It is finding my connection and some others but will not connect.Please could someone help as I am climbing the wall!

Like this post
frank300

Likes # 0

Hi,Have you turned on your wireless? Try pressing fn key and F7 together. Hope this helps.

Like this post
Issy

Likes # 0

Yes Frank,I have

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What type of encryption are you using? If WEP with an ASCII key, you might have to change to a hexadecimal key. I don't want to get into the technicalities of WEP keys if that isn't what you're using.

Also, what channel number is the router using? Most routers use either "6" or "11" as the default, so try using one of these or, if already using one, try the other. Avoid channels 1 and 2 as these use frequencies which are also used by other domestic wireless products. Also avoid channels 12 and 13 which are illegal in some other countries, as a result of which some WiFi adapters are designed not to connect to these channels.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I had the same problem with my wife's laptop, it suddenly decided it would nor connect so I changed from channel 6 to 11 and have had no problem since
In my case there is a public wireless internet system within my village that uses channel 6.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback