We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no certification

nonowtatall

Likes # 0

I have just attached a router model ADDON NWR9500 then put the wep code in my daughters ipad touch it is working fine I then put it into my sons nintendo DSI that is working fine I then put the wep code into my laptop and it wont connect it says windows cannot find certification I have tried all sorts of things many times but no joy I am on xp pro sp3 the addon shows up on the screen i click it it goes through the motions says AUTOMATIC full power but still nothing I have even had it beside the router any ideas

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Assuming you're using Windows XP and Windows' own "Wireless Zero Configuration" to manage the wireless networking...

Go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select properties. In the Properties sheet that opens, select the Wireless Networks tab. Highlight your wireless network and click the Properties button.

In the next Properties sheet that opens, select the Authentication tab and untick the box "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network". Click OK back through all open dialog boxes.

Like this post
nonowtatall

Likes # 0

hi mgmcc
not sure if i am on windows zero comfiguration but i cannot find the folder but my daughter had her WII on and connected to the internet with the wep code so why wont my laptop does this throw any light on the subject

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Open the Services window ("Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK), scroll down to the entry for Wireless Zero Configuration and double click it to open its Properties sheet. Make sure the service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is set to "Automatic". Click OK and then close the Services window. Now follow my previous instructions.

Like this post
nonowtatall

Likes # 0

hi mgmcc
did that opened the services all is set to started and automatic but where is the network connections folder all i can find is wireless wizard etc and the other one network connections and that says connected cannot find properties

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

>>> ...but where is the network connections folder

It is one of the applets in Control Panel.

Alternatively, go to "Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK which will open it.

Like this post
nonowtatall

Likes # 0

sorry but i have opened the connections folder a few times not realising what i was looking for and i am still looking for wirless connection and its properties all i find are the connection manager then internet gateway which is working then lan or high speed then personal area network i have opend these and looked at the properties and there is nothing relating to what you say
before i go any further i am working on my main desk computer do you think i have been doing the wrong thing and should be on the laptop looking at the config on there please help

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As it isn't possible to post screenshots in these forums, I have uploaded a Word document with screenshots to guide you through the steps to disable 802.1x authentication. click here

Like this post
nonowtatall

Likes # 0

many thanks MGMCC every thing is now working and it was so simple just undo the tick in the box amazing why cant they have it built into the programme to explain it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?