We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless problems

dan1611

Likes # 0

I sold a netbook recently and the person who purchased it says they are having problems connecting wirelessly to the internet. We have never had any problems and the connection was perfect on the morning of sale. How can I advise the person to help them decide if the problem is a router/connection problem or the wireless adapter is faulty in the netbook ?

The last thing I want is them wanting their money back when there's no problem with the netbook and it was sold in good faith.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Can they access the hub via ethernet.
If so try changing the wireless channel on the router and net book and any other PCs on the network.
Most routers default to channel 6 and an adjacent hub may me causing interference. I had this problem with a laptop, a PC in the same room connected OK, but not the laptop

Like this post
dan1611

Likes # 0

Thanks for that info. I know the person doesn't have much idea about this sort of thing, do you have info on how to go about changing the channel?

Do you know how likely is it that it's the netbook at fault?

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

If you could connect OK, it's unlikely to be the netbook. It could be a channel problem (need to know the make of router to give advice on how to change it). Could be a simple thing like their router has security and they're inputting an incorrect user name or password. I've had that problem dozens of times.

Like this post
dan1611

Likes # 0

I presumed that given we never had any problems with it either here or when my daughter used it wirelessly when she was at Uni, that it's likely to be a problem with the connection. As soon as the person responds to questions such as the router type and network etc, I'll post here. Unfortunately I sold this on a well known auction site and this buyer has been a bit needy with everything!!, but he hasn't responded for two days. Anyway thanks for your help and I'll get the info to you asap.

Like this post
young1king

Likes # 0

it may be the router i reccomend this router click here

Like this post
dan1611

Likes # 0

This is becoming a bit of a nightmare. The buyer is now saying that he has checked and the netbook doesn't have a network adapter, he's saying that he took it to a repair centre and they told him "it doesn't have wifi". He's saying he can send a screenshot to show there's no adapter??? !!!

I am absolutely speechless this netbook has been used for a year exclusively as a wireless computer, what does he think we've somehow removed wifi ability

The help I need now is in disputing with him, that the Samsung NC 10 isn't wifi enabled, when it's there in the specs. Am I right in thinking it has a network adapter? I get the impression that he has changed his mind for some reason and is looking for a way to get his money back.
Any help really gratefully recieved.

Like this post
dan1611

Likes # 0

This is the data link profile for the Netbook would this affect the wireless ability in any situation?
IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

I have a year old NC10 and, when I bought it, there was no option NOT to have a wireless adaptor, so I think he's trying to pull a fast one. Not sure of the legal side of things though - do distance selling regs apply to second hand goods from private sellers?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Re:- Distance Selling Regulations, they do not apply to private sales unless the description of the article etc.is untrue.
The term Caveat Emptor "Buyer Beware" applies.
It would appear that the buyer is "trying it on" or the on-board wireless card has failed, if so it is his problem.
I some years ago sold a car to a work colleague, I explained that as far as I could tell there was nothing wrong with the car but due to the mileage I could not guarantee the clutch.
A week after the sale the clutch failed, he accepted it was his problem and admitted his wife tended to slip the clutch when driving.

Like this post
dan1611

Likes # 0

Thanks for your opinions. I think I will have to just wait and see where this takes me. I will contact Samsung tomorrow, not that I need to, but just so I can say categorically that it has an integrated wireless adapter. It's all ridiculous as my daughter's been using it at home and at Uni and has never had a difficulty. This particular auction site do tend to find in favour of the buyer on the whole, but I'll certainly fight it. I'll keep you posted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia