We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Access to Network denied

Hogwarts

Likes # 0

I had the error message "the user profile service failed the logon" so created a new user profile as recommended on the Microsoft website and copied the files across. Everything appeared to be working correctly but after rebooting I have lost my network connection.
The network icon in the bottom RH corner of the screen says "Connection status unknown and Access is denied". Network and Sharing Centre says "Network name is unknown and Access is denied". Clicking on Network in Windows Explorer shows the 2 PC's connected to the network but not the router.
All other users are fine, hence my ability to post this thread. OS is Vista. Antivirus and Firewall is Mcafee.
Any suggestions?

Like this post
sam2004

Likes # 0

Sounds like a problem with permissions on the user account. I'd try creating another user account for yourself, check it works, copy the files, then check it still works properly.

Like this post
Hogwarts

Likes # 0

Thanks Sam, I'd already tried this but had a lot of difficulty copying some of the files and it still didn't work. Finally found a link to the solution, involving a simple Regedit, on the main forum.
Problem now sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...