We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 laptop - 'limited connectivity'

onthelimit

Likes # 0

Friend has a Plusnet BB with an old Belkin router. Her old laptop connects wirelessly with no problem (she's running it as an unsecured network). New W7 laptop sees the connection but then says no internet. Brought the lappy home and it connects to my Thompson router fine. I've suggested she ring Plusnet and ask for a newer model router, but am I missing something here?

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention that it won't connect by ethernet cable either.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Can you or friend run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window, right click in the window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

As she is unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

The inability to get online with a wired ethernet cable suggests it's a PC issue and not the router.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc, but if it's the PC, why can I connect to my Thompson router with it? I shall not be able to get there to follow your advice until Tues/Wed, so will post back then.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

check the settings on the laptop and make sure it is getting its ip address from the router and that it isnt set manually.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

While I was away, she ordered a new (free) Thompson router from Plusnet. I called, installed and the laptop connected straight away.

Looks as though some of the older ones don't like Windoze 7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...