We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot connect to my home network

Edith

Likes # 0

I have an idea what the problem is but do not know the answer. I have a desktop and laptop both running Vista Home Premium OS. I recently had to reinstall the OS on the laptop and of course my Norton Security. Before this I was able to see files on my destop as I had set them up to share and print to my HP printer. However now in the network sharing centre I have selected the option for network discovery but in the drop down box the option is greyed out. There is a message that for the network sharing to work make sure the firewall programm matches the appropriate settings. I think Norton 2011 has by default elected to prevent me connecting. Can anyone help?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It is many years since I've used Norton software, but look in the firewall configuration settings to see if there is an option to allow access to networked computers.

Like this post
jtay78

Likes # 0

Are both machines on the same ( WORKGROUP)

also make sure windows firewall is not on, and check the firewall settings on your router ! try to ping your ip from cmd line. go to start, then run, then type cmd, enter. then type ping then put the ip address that your trying to look at !

Like this post
Edith

Likes # 0

mgmcc and jtay78 - thank you both for your responses. I suspect you are both right that the problem lies within the firewall either because Windows is on as well as Norton. The problem for me is that when I look at Norton there are so many option I find it difficult to understand what I am selecting to do. I must be thick but lets not go there! I also recall a friend helping me set my network up originaly and he had to ping things but he is not around at the moment. Not responding from home but will try these option probaby tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014