We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer problem on Homegroups

molar

Likes # 0

I have an XP Media Centre Edition desktop wired to my router and an Epson 1290 printer connected.
Also a desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit connected on my network.

I followed the Trouble Shooter Article {Issue Jan 11} to use the printer on the Win 7 machine but it is not shown at the point indicated in the article - no printer is shown.
I downloaded what seemed to be the latest driver for Win 7 for this Printer before trying to locate it - and restarted the computer.

Any one got any ideas?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The "Homegroups" feature of Windows 7 is only compatible with other computers running Windows 7. You need to set up a normal network with XP Media Center rather than a Homegroup.

Like this post
molar

Likes # 0

I expressed myself badly. I have a normal network setup and it works well, except for the printer as I have described above. I was referring with Homegroup to the article in the current issue

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

I had this problem with a friend's W7 laptop. Google eventually came up with the solution that the printer has to be set up as a local one rather than network - bizarre but true. Click local port then input \\XP Computer name\printer name. Worked for me (once I sussed the two names required).

Like this post
biglake

Likes # 0

i have met the same problem with you while it still hasn't been solved...

nice cheap DVDs available at click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today