We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 refuses to make a stable connection

robzwolf

Likes # 0

I just bought myself a nice new Medion E4120 D on Saturday. It has a wireless-n chip (which is also wireless b/g compatible). My router is not wireless-n enabled. My new PC often refuses to connect to the router. When it manages to connect, it will often drop the connection again. I never have this problem with my netbook or my old desktop (which used an external wireless reciever (g)). It is really annoying as I cannot download anything from the internet or install programs properly because they need to activate/register online. I've changed the wireless chip's settings to IEEE 802.11b/g (it used to be IEEE 802.11b/g/n). According to Windows, I have a 'Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter'

I only bought this PC on Saturday (Aldi offer me a 60-day money back guarantee and the PC has a length 3-year warranty) so should I take it back?

After trying the troubleshooters and diagnosers there is still a problem.

Any help please?

Also, not sure if I should post this here but whilst I was browsing through the adapter's configuration window (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Configure) in the advanced tab there are two options I want to know about:

802.11d - I have an option for Enable or Disable (it's disabled by default), what is it? another type of wireless?
Beacon Interval - Numeric Value (100 by default), what's this?

I also change the IEEE 802.11b/g/n to IEEE 802.11b/g (which I said earlier) in this window.

Help!!!

Robbie

Like this post
robzwolf

Likes # 0

also I have another icon in Control Panel> Network and Internet > Network Connections

there is Local Area Connection (obviously) Wireless Network Connection (my main wireless one) and then a weird Wireless Network Connection 2. What's the last one? Instead of the Realtek one, it is called 'Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter'. What's this for?

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

click here , for an explanation .

Ashley

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

If the driver version is lower than 1086.23.0607.2010 then click here and download and update the wireless driver to this version .

Ashley

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I had a problem with a laptop that had problems connecting to my hub although a PC in the same room as the hub connected every time.
After much head scratching changing the wireless channel from the default 6 to channel 11 rectified the problem.
D/L inSSIDer from click here
This will show you all the wireless activity that could be affecting your network.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...