We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Netgear with Actiontec

redeyenewby

Likes # 0

I have an Actiontec Router connected to my NTL modem and an Actiontec receiver connected to my wife's PC. I have just bought an Epson allinone with wireless connectivity. I have a Netgear Router I bought a while ago and I used it for a short time then removed it so as to allow my Actiontec Router to communicate with my wife's PC. I would like to use the Netgear because I can set up a secure network connection with it, but I also want to use my Laptop which has wireless connectivity. Questions@- Can I set up my Netgear with my wife's Actiontec receiver and set up a connection with my laptop with a secure network? Thankyou in advance.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

All wireless hardware conforms to standard protocols - 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n etc - so you shouldn't have any problem using the Netgear router instead of the Actiontec.

I don't understand what additional security the Netgear router is going to provide, but go ahead and try it for yourself.

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

mgmcc, Thank you for your response. Are you saying that I can set up a secure network using Actiontec? So I wouldn't need to use the Netgear?

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

mgmcc, Sorry, Further questions. How would I set up a secure network weth Actiontec> Thank you.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I am not familiar with the Actiontec, but standard procedure with routers is to access their configuration pages by typing their IP address into a web browser.

If you don't know the router's IP address, run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window and look for the "Default Gateway" address for your network adapter - that's the router's IP address.

You may be prompted for a Username/Password and that should be either in the manual or on a label on the underside of the router.

Once into the configuration pages, there should be an option in the wireless settings to enable WEP, WPA or WPA2 encryption.

Having said that, if your wife is already connecting wirelessly, is she not using a "secured" connection?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback