We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

advice on wifi dongle for afghanistan

hudsey28

Likes # 0

Hi i need to send my partner a wifi dongle for use in afghanistan. He can get wifi on his camp but has moved tents and is now further away from the main connection. I dont realy know a lot about these things and couldnt realy ask to much as dont get to speak to him for long.
He said that some guys there have a wifi dongle with a antenna. Would this help? He said hes about 30 metres away from wifi access now but there is a big concrete wall inbetween him and the main connection. He said he could probably set something up on the wall but he will still need this wifi dongle.
Can someone help as i said, i have no idea!
Thanks Helen

Like this post
hudsey28

Likes # 0

forgot to say he has a laptop out there with built in wireless

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

Something like this would fit the bill I think since his laptop has inbuilt Wireles receiver.

click here

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

Sorry that supplier is out of stock!

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

This is a veritable minefield of "unavailable" "out of stock" and poor reviews to boot!
I found this one which might be acceptable: click here

Suggest you send your partner the link so that he can decide if it would be suitable.

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

This one looks even better!: click here

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

High Gain Dongle
click here

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

More info:

click here

Like this post
hudsey28

Likes # 0

Im going to take a look now. Thanks everyone

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made