We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless & Skype

Bike-it

Likes # 0

My son uses Skype to keep in contact with his girlfriend in America but whenever he is speaking to her the signal from the Billion 7800N router keeps dropping, it is very stable while using it for general browsing and downloading, any ideas as to why this is happening and if we can fix it?

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

i would advise, being a skype user myself, use an ethernet cable or be very close to the router. Packet loss is a problem. Look for Pnp in your router. it will give you priority to other devices for internet speeds

Like this post
jtay78

Likes # 0

i use skype all the time to talk to my Mom in Brasil and dad in Auz with Wifi and i have no major probs to be honest! try to change the channel on the router settings for the Wifi IE channel 8 to 9, but only do this if you know what you are doing. seems very strange to get a packet drop all the time.

make sure your not downloading anything.

Hope this helps

Rgds

James

Like this post
Bike-it

Likes # 0

Ashley it does not matter weather i use a cable or not it still drops.
jtay78 i have tried all the channels on my current and last router and it made no difference, as for downloading i don't download things.

Thanks to you both for your answers.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I find it depends upon the computer hardware. If I use a laptop with Core2Duo processor then all is fine. If I use a Netbook with Atom processor I have problems similar to the ones you describe. Skype then diagnoses the problem as under powered computer. In both cases I have a built in video cam and built in mic/speakers. My internet connection is running at just under 18 Mbps so that isn't the problem!

Like this post
bryaneipstein

Likes # 0

The only time I had problem with my Skype is when my phone line didn't have a DSL filter. Seems to me that the phone interference affects the speed of the connection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...