We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Website Hosting at Home

Mr Wood

Likes # 0

I am looking at hosting my own website on my home server. What I need to know is would this affect my 10mb Broadband speed in any way, with users accessing my website and my family + me using the internet as well.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

of doing it (and it's pretty easy in any case), there's no good reason for trying to run a web server at home.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Whether your ISP has a point of view or not, is open to speculation. The best thing to do is ask them. I use o2 and they don't mind at all.

I have to pay extra for a fixed address, but even that can be overcome if your server is not business critical by using dynamic DNS.

It won't affect your home computer use at all, but you do need to be aware that operating a server is a responsibility, which needs to be taken seriously.

If your server gets taken over, almost certainly you will become part of a botnet and your ISP will most definitely have a point of view about that (particularly if it's dispensing illegal material)!

With hosting services being at an all time low cost, it's probably not cost effective in the true sense.

But the challenge is rewarding (if it appeals to you) and you do have full control over the server, how it is configured and the content you wish to provide.

That in itself, is worth every penny to me.

If you want to continue along this road, click here for an article I wrote a couple of years back, that is the first of three (they're all linked if you're interested), on how to build a Linux server. Subsequent articles include how to create a RAID 5 array and how to install the server software.

Hope that helps.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But the challenge is rewarding (if it appeals to you)....."

That's the best possible reason for having your own home web server. You certainly wouldn't do it to save money, as you point out.

My concern about home servers is the one you mentioned - that of the server being hijacked into becoming part of a botnet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen