We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless connection light on laptop won't stay on

Spurs442

Likes # 0

My Compaq laptop has been working fine for a year and a half, but yesterday the wireless indicator light will not stay on - it is off when coloured orange, and when you you press it to on (blue) it only stays blue for about one second and then goes off.

It connects to the internet fine via the ethernet cable to the router. The only thing I did yesterday was to connect a new desktop PC to the router with an old lead whilst online with the laptop. Could that have triggered or turned something off on my laptop?

Any ideas??

Many thanks.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Connecting another PC to the router by ethernet cable couldn't cause your Laptop's "wireless" not to switch on.

Try unplugging the mains lead and remove the battery, so that the Laptop is without any power. Leave for about 30 minutes. Reinsert the battery and see if the wireless adapter stays on.

Presumably the battery has a good charge? It may be that, if it is very low, "wireless" is intended to switch off to conserve power, although this shouldn't happen with the mains lead/charger connected.

Like this post
Spurs442

Likes # 0

I'll give that a go and see what happens.......

Like this post
Spurs442

Likes # 0

Nope, that didn't work. Anyone any ideas????

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...