We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless n router dual band

rubygxx

Likes # 0

hello, i am looking for some advice on this type of router, at the moment i have a thompson speedtouch 585, connected to my desktop via ethernet cable, and one laptop that runs wirelessly also my son has a ps3 which also connects to internet through this router, i have another laptop coming for xmas which will share this too, so i was looking to by another router that may support all these things better, the thomson one is not bad, but we have had it for a few years, the thing is i have searched in my system information to see if the desktop would support an N router, (the thompson one is b/g,) but not exactly sure what to look for or where,i have a packard bell iextreme x2711 running windows vista 32 bit operating system, intel(R)core(TM)2 quad cpu 2.40Ghz,if anyone could advise if the n router would be ok on this system i would be grateful

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The computers will all work with an "N" router because of backward compatibility with "B" and "G". However, the enhanced performance of 802.11n will only be realised by connecting with 802.11n Wireless Network Adapters in the computers.

I couldn't find a 'spec' for your particular PC but, if you go into Device Manager ("Start > Run", type DEVMGMT.MSC and click OK), expand the Network Adapters section and double click your wireless adapter, its Properties should indicate if it's 'G' or 'N'.

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hi, i did that and expanded the network adaptors, all that is there is 6T04 adaptorwhich has a yellow exclmation mark, this has always been like that since i got pc, have no idea what it is and the other adaptor is realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC, if thats any help

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The "6t04" adapter is related to TCP/IPv6 and seems to crop up in some computers running Vista. You can forget about it. However, if the only other adapter is the "realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC", then you don't have a Wireless Network Adapter to connect "wirelessly" to the router.

Connecting to an "N" router by ethernet cable, as presumably you do at the moment, isn't a problem but had you intended to connect "wirelessly"?

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

hi again, no i dont want to go wirelessly on my main desktop, it is to connect two laptops and a playstation, at the moment we run 1 laptop and playstation wirelessly from this router connected to the desktop pc, but come xmas there will be another laptop so i was thinking maybe i should get a router with a better range/stronger signal, have been looking at some this morning and some say router only , no modem ??, what does that mean? its very confusing or maybe im just dumb

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As your broadband is ADSL via the phone line, you need a combined "Router & ADSL Modem".

The stand-alone routers (i.e. without a Modem) are known as "Cable/DSL Routers" and are suitable for Virgin's Cable broadband service. They connect either to the supplied Cable Modem or to a TV Set-top box, but cannot connect to a phoneline.

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Thank you , i nam going to get a wireless N router , thanks for all the help , much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......