We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Refurbished laptop -how to connect wirelessly

grandmat

Likes # 0

I have bought a refurbished Dell 610 for one of my grandchildren and the previous owner connected with a dongle. I want to connect to my own wireless network, but it keeps saying no wireless card(?) detected. How do I do this please (am an oldie so simple instructions if possible)

I am on BT Home Hub and have the BT Cd and wireless network key

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If the previous owner connected with a dongle, then the Laptop doesn't have an internal Wireless Network Adapter. Have you also plugged in a dongle (USB Wireless Network Adapter) in order to connect to your wireless network?

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

No havent got one - would you know how much they cost and what type I need?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Something like this should do the trick click here

I use one of these in a Laptop running Windows XP which doesn't have a built-in wireless adapter.

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

Thank you for this.

Could I have a internal wireless adaptor fitted? or would the external usb adaptor be the cheapest solution?

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

The dongle recommended would be the simplest and cheapest way achieve a Wireless connection.

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your answers and patience. Will purchase a dongle - but is the one highlighted in
mgmcc post the right one for a dell lattitude 610?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If the Laptop is running Windows XP, which I assume it is, then the adapter I suggested should be fine. The make of the Laptop isn't really significant.

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

Thank you so much for all your help, will order one as its the best solution

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...