We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

aol disconnection fee

bert52a

Likes # 0

i have had these probs with aol

service down weekend 9th october
weekend 16th october
off 5th november for short period
When i enquired about itemised bill
left me on hold for 45 mins w
had to phone more than a dozen times since July because of wireless connection dropping.
they now say they want £217 disconnection fee.
how dare they? can they legally ask me for this?
i have 18 month contract that started
in July which was an upgrade that i opted for in july.before that date I was with aol since 2003 and the service was ok before that.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Firstly, if you have just entered into an 18 Month contract in July, then you will be liable to pay the monthly subscription for the rest of the period. Presumably the "disconnection fee" equates to that cost?

Secondly, if your problem is "wireless connection dropping", is this perhaps an issue between your computer and the wireless router rather than a loss of AOL's ADSL service? If you connect by wired ethernet, are you still suffering from loss of connection?

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

if I am connected wired or wirelessly in the same room there is usually no problem.If I go to other rooms in the house I lose the signal immediately or sometimes after about ten minutes.
Strangely the signal strength shows as aexcellent but I can open no web pages.
My fallout with aol is that prior to an upgrade I could get wireless in most rooms around the house but since July when I upgraded I have had this problem.
I have actually been with aol since about 2001 and holding me to this contract seems substantially unfair since while their service was good I stayed with them all this time .I know this is a new contract but in all negotiations there has to be fairness.I only want out because it no longer provides the service I had before.If the service was working I'd have no problem.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

From what you've posted, the problem is with the "wireless" connection between your computer and the router and that, I'd suggest, isn't due to any shortcomings in the service provided by the ISP.

When your service was "upgraded" did this involve changing the router, so that you're now connecting "wirelessly" to different hardware?

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply
When I upgraded they sent me a new router- identical to the one I was using( a d-link)before.I used the new one and had the wireless probs so I went back to the original one but this behaved in the same way.
But if aol are supplying the wireless router don't they have some responsibility?They say the router can work between 60 to 100 metres-I'm 10 to 15m at the most.

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply
When I upgraded they sent me a new router- identical to the one I was using( a d-link)before.I used the new one and had the wireless probs so I went back to the original one but this behaved in the same way.
But if aol are supplying the wireless router don't they have some responsibility?They say the router can work between 60 to 100 metres-I'm 10 to 15m at the most.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Try deleting the wireless "profile" in the computer and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again when a new profile will be created and saved. How you do this depends on the version of Windows that you're using.

Then connect any computer by ethernet cable to the router, go into its configuration pages and, in the "wireless" settings, try changing the Channel number. Most routers use "6" or "11" as the default so try one of those or, if already using one, try the other. To access the router's configuration pages, type its IP address (probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) into your web browser.

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

thanks for the suggestions.
aol had me do this six or seven times to no avail.

the router can be working fine when the laptop is close to it but then I get no internet when I go to other rooms how come, even when I refresh it it shows signal strength is excellent. When it's excellent in the room where the router is I get exceptional speeds but in other rooms with the signal still excellent the signal dies.If I return to the room where the router is the speed resumes.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I really cannot tell you why, in your particular location, moving out of the room with the router in causes a loss of internet connectivity.

The most common reasons would be the construction of any walls in between or interference from other "wireless" devices operating on the same 2.4GHz frequency band.

Like this post
bert52a

Likes # 0

And now tonight the speed is down to 1.38mbps.
worth every penny.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Under wireles connections on a d-link router untick the box for auto detecting the channel. Try channel 9 for starters see if it's any better.
Mine auto selected channel 1 which worked but it's better on 9 for my set-tup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback