We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless password reset

ifairhurst

Likes # 0

Hello
I have had a wireless set up at home for a while now and recently bought a ipod touch for my daughter. She wants to connect to the Wifi but is being promted for the security password. I can't remember what I set this as.
Can this be retrieved from my pc or reset?
thanks for any help

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Isent it your network key,usually printed on the router?

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Try the followings:

1. If you have forgotten your LinkSys router password, the easiest thing to do is to reset your router to the factory default settings.

To restore the router configuration to factory defaults, hold the reset button on the unit for 30 seconds.

2. Once your router is hard reset, you will need to login and reconfigure it again.

To reconfigure your LinkSys, connect a PC to one of it's Ethernet ports, load a web browser, and go to the URL click here. This will take you to a popup box which asks you to enter a username and password to login to your router.
LinkSys Default Password

On older LinkSys routers, the default username is blank and the default password is "admin." On newer Linksys routers, both the default username and the default password are set to "admin."

Once you are past the login screen, you are able to reconfigure the LinkSys router.
You want to go to the management tab and change the administrator password to something else to keep others from accessing your router.

3. After changing the administrator password then you will need to enable WEP or WAP security so your nosy neighbors aren't tapping into your wireless network. I am picking up 4 networks with my pc antenna.

Like this post
ifairhurst

Likes # 0

I tried all the numbers on the back and none worked, i think i must have changed it to something "memorable!!!" when I first set it up.
The Router is a Thompson, will this have the same factory passwords?

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

To access a Thompson router
User is Administrator
Password is left blank

Like this post
ifairhurst

Likes # 0

is the URL the same for Thompson router?

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Like this post
wizzboy

Likes # 0

Like this post
ifairhurst

Likes # 0

thanks wizzboy but its sorted now.
I reset the router then had to reconfigure it.
I was led to believe the reconfigure username was "administrator" and password was blank for this router but that didn't work. Turned out user name and password was my email name and password, then once reconfigured the WEP number on the back was the network key.
so thats sorted but my pc is really slow , are there any good fixes about. It keeps telling me virtual memory is low.

Like this post
jtay78

Likes # 0

Virtual Memory is your RAM, you might need more ram for your system ! do you know how much you are using right now ? if not go to control panel then system. this will tell you how much RAM you have on the system, also what Version of Windows are you using ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...