We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting Wireless

Confab

Likes # 0

A friend of mine is getting SKY broadband installed on Wednesday. She just wants to connect wirelessly to the net as she only has a laptop. Should she first of all run the instillation disk and set up her broadband using the supplied Ethernet cable and once this is up and running then remove the Ethernet cable and connect wirelessly or can she just plug the router in and connect wirelessly without running the set up disk?

Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think Sky's router is all ready set up and the key and ssid info will already be had. I'd let the router boot-up and settle then use the 'connect to' at startup to connect to the router.
If connec to isn't showing in the start list then right click start- properties- start menu- customize tab and tick the connect to box.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'll re-write it correctly.

I think Sky's router is all ready set up and the key and ssid info will already be had. I'd let the router boot-up and settle then use the 'connect to' at start list to connect to the router.
If connect to isn't showing in the start list then right click start- properties- start menu- customize tab and tick the connect to box

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

It is recommended that you initially connect wired.You dont need the disk.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Here are the steps to connect wireless internet:

1. Turn on and boot to the desktop of your computer. If new devices are found, let your computer finish with installing the drivers for this device.

2. Ensure that you have wireless network devices installed on your computer. To do this, Right Click on the "My Computer" Icon and select "Properties".

3. On the Systems Properties window, select the Hardware tab and click on "Device Manager".

4. Click on the + next to "Network Adapters" and ensure that there is a wireless adapter installed and there is not a "?" or "X" next to it. If there is not, proceed by closing this window and the Systems Properties window.

5. Next, go to the "Start" menu and click on "Control Panel"

6. If you are in "Classic Mode" click on the Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

7. If you are in "Category View" click on "Network & Internet Connections".

8. And select "Wireless Network Setup Wizard"

9. Select "Next"

10. And "next" again.

11. Select "Set up network manually" and click "Next"

12. Then click "Finish"

13. Back in the "Control Panel" Window, select "Network Connections". You will have this select whether in "Classic Mode" or "Category" mode.

14 Right click on the "Wireless Network Connection and" select "Properties".

15. In the "Wireless Connection Properties" window, select the "Wireless Networks" tab. In the window, you should see your wireless network router. If it is not there, click on the "View Wireless Networks" button or, if you know the name of your network, select "Add" below the "Preferred Networks" window.

16. If you selected "Add", enter the network name. Ensure all boxes are UN-checked. Enter your password in both boxes. If your network is not secured, change the "Data Encryption" to "disabled" and select "OK".

16. If you selected the "View Wireless Networks" button, you will see a list of all networks within range. The networks with a Gold locked padlock in the description are secure networks. The ones with an open padlock are not secure. If you see your network, highlight it and select "Connect". If your network is secure, you will be prompted to enter your password. If you don't know the password, you may obtain it from whoever set up your router.

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...