We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing Router

Tomski_1991

Likes # 0

I currently have a Thomson TG585v7 router that was provided by Tiscali (now TalkTalk) when we signed with them two years ago.

Recently, a problem has occurred that has left me thinking that my router is on the blink. Every now and then, the "Internet" led goes off and I can no longer access the internet. It is normally a couple of hours before normal service is resumed.

However, I have a Netgear router (WPN824v2) that my Dad wants me to sell for him, but I may well buy it myself if it seems a decent replacement.

So my question is, am I able to install the Netgear router without needing to notify TalkTalk? (i.e. Can I just simply install it and be up and running, or do I need to I need to speak to TalkTalk about changing it?)

Like this post
Tomski_1991

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies.

The Netgear DGN1000 looks pretty decent. I'm definitely going to look into getting it.

I see that it is an N router. I currently only have B/G compatible adapters. Do I need to upgrade them to be able to connect to an N router at all, or is it a case of being able to connect but just not getting the benefits of N technology?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

>>> is it a case of being able to connect but just not getting the benefits of N technology?

That is the situation. An 802.11g adapter will connect as though the router were a "g" router.

Like this post
Tomski_1991

Likes # 0

Ok cool, thanks.

Just one last question - my desktop PC uses a Belkin wireless adapater (F5D7050), should this still be able to work with any Netgear router?

Like this post
mnopq

Likes # 0

Tell talktalk it is on the blink - maybe they will supply a free replacement. They did for me a few years ago.

Like this post
Tomski_1991

Likes # 0

To be honest, it has stopped cutting out now. But I would like to have a replacement as I still have trouble playing with friends on my PS3. I'd rather just buy a router with a well known brand and one that works well with gaming.

Thanks for the advice though :).

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

There shouldn't be a problem using your Belkin wireless adapter with a Netgear router. Wireless networking uses standard protocols to which all 802.11g, 802.11n etc hardware conforms.

Like this post
Tomski_1991

Likes # 0

Well I went ahead an bought a "refurbished" Netgear DGN1000 from ebay, but it's going straight back where it came from.

I get a hissing on the phone line when it's in use. I tried using different filters and cables, but it still continued. Download speeds are poor as well, barely reaching over 1mbps.

I'm thinking about buying the same model brand new from PC World, so I hope this one is just a faulty one off.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite