We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Switching from Link Sys Router to Gigabyte

mhurford

Likes # 0

Hi, i need some advice on switching from a linkysys WRT54GSV4 to a gigabyte GN BR32L-RH router, ive tried just installing the new router as per the instructions but to no avail. abit of a technology noob here so is there anything major im likely to miss?

It sends out a signal to my computer and i can create a network that appears and can be found by other computers but no internet comes through whatsoever.

Please ask for any extra information you need as i dont really know what to put here. Thanks in advance to those more technologically blessed than me!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Unplug your modem, your PC and Router from mains leave about 10min first plug your modem back in and leave a few min untill ready light has settled, then plug the router back in and leave a few min then plug PC back in and switch on (leave them all connected together during this proccess) and see if that helps.

Like this post
mhurford

Likes # 0

Ok i will try when im back from work today thanks for the advice.

Like this post
mhurford

Likes # 0

im still having a problem, do i need to do anything to uninstall my old router or change any codes anywhere to match the two routers together?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

No you should not need to do that as no software should be on your PC to do with the router, the router is just a gateway to internet

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window. Go to “Start > Run”, type…

cmd.exe /k ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there. It might just give an indication as to what the problem is.

Like this post
mhurford

Likes # 0

finally sorted it thank you for your help, however as far as i can see the problem in my house that i wanted to solve (lack of signal strength and reliability) i upgraded from a G router to an N router and as far as i can see across the house the reliability is still questionable.

is there anything i can do to improve this? ive tried as much as possible to move the router away from any metal and to centralise it as much as possible but due to my setup its quite hard.

I also use a similar frequency wireless headset which i am aware does not help but theres nothing i can do about that so any small tips to boost in any way possible would be appreciated

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

You could try home plug networking which uses the house wireingclick here

Like this post
mhurford

Likes # 0

Credit for your helpfulness Strawballs but i have already looked at that option and the cost is very high and since most of my internet use is wireless (4 wireless laptops) the viability of having cables plugged in for internet seems defeatist in my eyes.

Or can you you can plug another router in to the other side of the plug to boost signal? If you can thats great, but then that requires another router and these plugs ££££££!

is there any way i can boost the signal of this new device? at the moment it looks like my only option is to move the router to another point in the house and buy 3 very long cables to plug each computer in and attach it to the modem in order to gain better positioning unless theres any obvious signal boosting options im missing?

Thanks again for all your help!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

>>> i upgraded from a G router to an N router and
>>> as far as i can see across the house the
>>> reliability is still questionable.

Are you also using 'N' adapters in the computer(s)? If not, you won't be realising the enhanced performance of 802.11n

>>> Or can you you can plug another router in to
>>> the other side of the plug to boost signal?

You can plug a "Cable/DSL" router (which doesn't incorporate a Modem) into the remote Homeplug but, if you need to share Files/Printers with a computer connected to the main router, you'd be better using a stand-alone "Wireless Access Point". Alternatively, there are "wireless" Homeplugs and one of these would let you connect wirelessly in the remote location.

Like this post
mhurford

Likes # 0

Yes i am, im using a new Macbook Pro with n router and have noticed a minimal gain, any tips would be greatly appreciated,

are there any ad-hoc signal boosters i can make at home which actually work?

i tried the wind surfer but as far as i could see it actually reduced signal...maybe i made it wrong!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers