We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP / W7 network keeps 'failing'

ChrisAnnS

Likes # 0

We have set up a Workgroup to network our XP desktop with a Win7 laptop. The desktop is linked to the router by ethernet and the laptop is Wifi to the same router.
It has been working OK for a month or so. However, now we find that sometimes one or other computer can't see the other although it can always see the router and internet.
We've tried everything including closing down one or both computers and starting them again in a different order. Sometimes it appears to work - other times not. There doesn't appear to be a logical explanation.
Another problem, which may not be linked, but on the XP desktop we have icons on the task bar go missing (not simply hiding). More often or not it is the Skype and Safely Remove Hardware icons which disappear but it has happened to others too. They will suddenly return for a day, and then go missing again. (They can be found in the 'Past Items' list.) This only started recently, about the same time as the above problem which may or may not be linked.
Any ideas please?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It does sometimes happen that a networked computer doesn't appear in "Network" ("My Network Places"), but it may still be accessible if you type the path to it into the address bar, using the format:

\\computername

\\computername\sharedfolder

If you're using third-party firewall software, has this been configured correctly to allow access to the networked computers, bearing in mind that their IP addresses can change if allocated by the router using DHCP?

Like this post
ChrisAnnS

Likes # 0

I can see the W7 laptop from the XP m/c by typing in it's name but it only finds Default & Public under 'Users' not our user names (which are visible on the W7 laptop).

However, I have copied a file into the Public folder and both comps can see that!

I'm not sure about our Firewall - we just use MS and there is a firewall associated with our homehub.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The inability to see shared folders in the Win 7 PC from XP may be due to the "permissions" set. In the Sharing Properties of the folders, make sure that the Username you're logged in to XP with has been granted Read & Write permission.

Like this post
ChrisAnnS

Likes # 0

Thanks for the thought - I'll see if I can work out how to check that.

Like this post
ChrisAnnS

Likes # 0

I'm back to say thanks for your help. Our network appears to be working as it should. Not sure which of the solutions solved it but at least it's not 'popping' out like it was doing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...