We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

bg2200 wireless adapter and linksys WAG354G router

timsimpson

Likes # 0

Hi. I've been working with my ISP to get my broadband speed up, which has been successful. When i connect via ethernet cable to my router i get download speed test results around 12Mbps, but when i use the wireless connection i only get 5Mbps. As far as i can tell, i have the most recent drivers (from the dell and intel websites) so i don't know what else to try. I don't know whether it matters but i'm using windows to manage the wireless conncetion rather than the intel software, mainly because i couldn't establish any connection at all when i originally set the network up using the intel software.
I'm no expert, so would really value any advice you may be able to offer.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK) and then double click the Wireless Network Connection, what speed is shown?

This isn't your internet speed it is the speed at which the adapter is connecting 'wirelessly' with the router. As you're running an 802.11g router it should show 54Mbps.

Like this post
timsimpson

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes it does show 54Mbps. What i don't understand is why the speed test is so much slower via broadband when i apparently have a 54Mbps connection to the router. Any ideas?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK