We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recommend a router?

andy625

Likes # 0

We've used Netgear routers for the last 5yrs. They tend to last about 2yrs before problems occur such as loss of internet connection (meaning turning the router off and on again, to restore connection). Our current Netgear Rangemax router has just started acting up in this manner. We've had the broadband connection checked out, and it's fine.

For the routers replacement I was thinking of switching to a different brand. Can anyone recommend a router?

In the house we use 2 pc's, a pda (using slower b connection speed), blackberry 9700 and an iphone. We don't play games or watch hd internet tv, so I was thinking of trying a Linksys E1000? Or is there a better solution?

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

You'll get lots of answers depending on the type individuals use. I've had a Thompson Speedtouch for the last 5 yrs with no problems whatsoever.

Like this post
andy625

Likes # 0

OK, I hadn't considered Thompson. 5 years would be a vast improvement on the life of our Netgear items.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Don't know if it makes any difference, but I leave it on all the time, so there's no thermal cycling.

Like this post
andy625

Likes # 0

Yes, I mean't to mention above, that we leave ours on all the time. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

Looks like it depends on the make!

Like this post
andy625

Likes # 0

Does anyone else have a Linksys router of any description?

Like this post
Bike-it

Likes # 0

Sorry i dont have a Linksys router but i too was a Netgear customer, but after several routers failing after a years use i started looking for a new router and the search came down to two the Billion 7800N and the Linksys WAG 320N, so after doing a lot of research online i bought the Billion router from broadband buyer and am really really pleased with the performance of it, it has a great wireless range and stable,also great whenever you are using it wireless very few dropped connections compared to the Netgear router.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a Linksys WAG something or other. At first it was good, but, for example if there was a power cut id did not come on without a manual input. Also my internet phone was intermittent. Since switching to a Belkin N+ wireless router, I( think with a lifetime guarantee) things are much better including the wireless range.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS I leave it on all the time as I have a Vonage internet phone.It very rarely has needed attention

Like this post
andy625

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. Billion and Belkin look like a good alternative at the moment. Seems like I'm not alone in having Netgear routers failing after (what I'd consider) unacceptably short lifespans.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks