We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with a contract

NotVeryTechie

Likes # 0

Hi all

I hope someone can help me! I have an IT supplier building a database for us at the moment. This supplier has been tardy with the project and we are now running about 9 months behind schedule.

He is putting together a new contract for the job and has included many and varied safeguards for himself (e.g. if we ask for additional features they will be charged in addition to the agreed price, etc). But there is no safeguard at all for us. He could take another nine months to do the first task of the list, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Now, I know this kind of thing is very difficult in IT projects as delays can be due to clients not getting back with information, or various other things. So I want to be fair, but my boss is not going to sign that contract without some kind of safeguard in it for us.

Does anyone have any wording that can be used? And what kind of penalties would be fair?

We will be paying in monthly payments for the job, rather than half on signature, half on completion.

Hope you can help!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

are wary of penalty clauses because there may well be reasons beyond a contractor's control why a delay occurs. You acknowledge this possibility, and if such an arrangement isn't acceptable to your contractor a better way is probably to set out a payments schedule which allows for a fairly substantial sum to remain as a final payment.

In other words, weight the scales in your favour, so that you are always holding more than the value remaining in the contract for the contractor.

You obviously trust this man to deliver,what you need to do now is to give him the incentive to complete within an acceptable time frame.

Like this post
NotVeryTechie

Likes # 0

That is a very good point. Thank you again for all the input!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...